So, now the inside of the "bonus" space is painted
and the wire shelving is going up.
Three beautiful deep wire shelves plus the space
at the bottom, just itching to be filled!
Initially, I thought I might paint the inside of the pantry
and was in the process when a little helper arrived.
So I gave him the brush and let him go to town.
He was so proud of himself (and so was I!)
Now the bonus space is completely walled-in and painted.
I decided not to take the time to paint the entire pantry space
but the back wall definitely needed it since I used various pieces of
left-over wall board and it had a not-so-pleasing patchwork look.
It's time to begin installing the shelving in the side walls.
As I always do, before I begin a project, I spent hours on the
internet, searching for ideas, suggestions, and other people's
solutions. I came across a brilliant invention by a fellow
Texan that would have been fabulous if I had not been on a
tight budget--The EZ Stud Rack.
However, it is what it is . . . so back to the drawing board I went
and came up with the idea of using pegboard and shelf pegs.
(Most of my inspiration hits as I roam the aisles of Lowe's!)
I bought sheets of pegboard and cut it into strips, then screwed the
strips into the studs, using pieces of quarter-inch wood as spacers
between the stud and pegboard so that the shelf pegs would push
all the way into the holes.
I went from just above the floor to the ceiling on both walls, installing
wider strips of pegboard on the right side for wider shelves, since the
right side has a few inches more space than the left.
As tempted as I was to stuff the entire space with the widest shelves
possible, I didn't want the pantry to feel too crowded.
The shelf pegs were more economical to buy in quantities of twenty. I lost count of how many bags I ended up buying (technically, I could go back over my receipts, but sometimes, ignorance is bliss.) I also found some plastic pegs on clearance at another hardware store and ended up using three different kinds of shelf pegs before I was done but you don't notice them so it doesn't matter. I was going for utility rather than showiness and, anyway, isn't variety the spice of life? (I do have to say I've come a long way from the day that I would NEVER have mixed and matched but instead would have worn myself out making sure it was all PERFECT. Ahhhh, sweet freedom!)
One thing you do have to watch for is the size of the pegs.
If you have 1/4" pegboard, you must use 1/4" pegs.
If you just assume all pegs are 1/4", then be prepared to
head to the returns desk on your next trip to Walmart.
Trust me on this one.
I must pause to give credit where credit is due . . .
how could I have ever done this project without
the assistance of our Head Hen, Lucy?
"I wanna cut some wood! Can I? Please, please, please???"
(And there's Miss Violet, standing by, waiting for her turn.)
I went with shelf pegs so I could adjust the shelves to different heights.
This has proven to be a very good choice. Two shelf pegs on each side
to hold the shelf and one on each side to keep the shelf from tipping.
I've since discovered other options for tipping prevention--just plain
pegs would work or even pieces of quarter-inch dowel rods. This was
definitely a learn-as-you-go project and yes, there are some things
I would do differently but, over all, I'm very pleased.
The shelves were cut from 1"x4"s and 1"x8"s and slip between the shelf
pegs (not always so easily but at least they're a nice, tight fit.)
One thing I had to be careful to do was to make sure the pegboard
holes were lined up so the shelf would be level. A few times, rather
than move the pegboard strip, I just drilled new holes.
You gotta do what you gotta do.
I didn't even have all the shelving in place
before I just HAD to start filling the new pantry!
The fact that I can only fit one item deep on the narrower shelves and
two deep on the wider ones, makes it so easy to see at a glance exactly
what I have on hand and when it's time to re-stock. No more pulling
out ten items to get to the one thing I need in the very back.
As an afterthought, I installed pegboard to the back wall to hang tools.
No space wasted!!!
The flooring is vinyl left over from the rent house renovation.
I also glued a piece to the bottom of the bonus space for easier
clean-up and a nicer appearance.
I'm still adding shelves and have re-arranged a few things since
this picture was taken but all-in-all, this project is COMPLETE!
We are loving our new pantry and as an extra bonus, our laundry
space is much neater AND now I have room to install a barn-type
door for the pantry. Yay, another project!!!