Featured Post

Life on "The Farm" is . . .

Orderly, Delightful,      Colorful,                               Abundant, Whimsical, Lovely,...

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Labor & Delivery

Pearl, our brown egg girl,
is quite vocal when she's in the process of laying.
Cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCK, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCK,
 cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck, CLUCK, cluck, cluck, cluck, cluck . . .
 
It's sort of like standing outside labor and delivery,
hearing the sounds of the agony of childbirth.
Some say it's the sound of a proud hen after laying a
trophy egg. Others say it's the sound that comes from
the incredible relief . . . that it's over.

 
And yes, folks, we found three eggs in the
nest at the same time, two days in a row!
On the third day, no eggs at all,
which we could certainly understand.
 
Good work, girls!

 
 
Hmmmmm, fall is in the air and cooler weather is just around the corner.
I love this time of year, probably the most of any of the seasons, because
the end of the summer heat so invigorates me. I can hardly wait!
 
So many outside projects that have been put-off until it's more
comfortable to work. Among them is the cleaning out of the storage
building (not a job to do in the middle of a Texas summer, that's for sure!)
and the installing of the beautiful old-fashioned double-loop wire fence
and gate which entails digging postholes. A LOT of postholes.
Isn't there a machine that does that?
 
I'm anxious to dress the house in the colors of autumn,
which are some of my favorites--Beauty berry purples, 
spider lily reds, burnt oranges, chocolate browns . . .
 ahhhhhh, just makes you want to rake leaves (well, almost.)
 
Soon, the fireplace wall and mantle will burst with fall color but
I want to enjoy the summer vignette I created for a few more days.
 Pinterest gets most of the credit for the "look" but I had to do
the work of tracking down just the right elements.
 
I found the large shabby chic wooden window frame, platter,
and the just-perfect "welcome" sign at an antiques mall.
I already had the pitchers (the larger one belonged to my Grandma)
and dried hydrangeas from my garden, and I made the burlap
and paper lace banner. I love how the colors complement
the rock wall and give a sense of serenity to the room.
 
Calm and cool for summer, but soon to be warm
and rich and vibrant for autumn.










No comments:

Post a Comment